About The Show
The Wayne Besen Show marries enlightenment to entertainment and brings fun to a compelling, fact-based show about the day’s news and politics.
At the intersection of passion and compassion, the show seeks to broaden horizons, increase understanding of the world, while encouraging viewers and listeners to participate in the political process.
The goal is simple: Articulate progressive ideas and policies to move our country in a direction that will maximize health and happiness.
Never has the need been greater for this innovative and energizing independent media program. I hope you enjoy it and tell your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and social media buddies about The Wayne Besen Show.
Be a friend of the program by hopping on Besen’s Bandwagon for just $10 a month – or give a larger contribution if you are able. As independent non-corporate media, The Wayne Besen Show only exists through your generous financial support.
A Progressive Promise
The Wayne Besen Show is based on advancing a set of core principles that I refer to as, “A Progressive Promise for America.” Each day, I strive to advance these issues to make America a more perfect union and a nation that lives up to its lofty ideals.
A “Progressive Promise to America” offers:
• Comprehensive immigration reform
• Declare Election Day a national holiday, as well as roll back attempts at GOP voter suppression, such as voter ID laws and crosscheck, in the states
• Sweeping transformation to help end racial disparities in the criminal justice system and society
• A national LGBT rights bill that prohibits discrimination in employment, housing, the military, and public accommodations
• Ensure a woman’s right to choose
• Equal opportunities for women including equal pay for equal work
• End the disastrous War on Drugs. National legalization and taxation of marijuana
• Affordable college for all students
• Medicare for all Americans
• Revitalize America’s crumbling infrastructure, which would protect lives and create jobs
• Strengthen unions to return power to workers and rejuvenate the middle class
• Abolish or renegotiate trade deals that send American jobs overseas and depress wages at home
• Raise the national minimum wage to at least $15 an hour
• The fastest high speed rail in the world connecting major urban centers
• Strengthen consumer protections against predatory behavior from unscrupulous businesses
• Climate Change: Break our addiction to fossil fuels and lead the world in creating innovative solutions with a revolution in clean energy
• Commit to leading the world in science, technology, and innovation
• Appoint judges to overturn Citizens United and stop special interests from flooding politics with money to buy elections
• Reform Wall Street to ensure markets are truly free and fair and operate for the public good instead of private greed
• Ensure that America continues to have the strongest, most modern military in the world, as well as zealously defend our nation against terrorism. However, the military should avoid foreign adventurism that needlessly costs America in blood and treasure, while degrading our standing in the world. We should also not squander resources on maintaining a sprawling military-industrial complex designed more to enrich defense contractors than protect our national interests
Wayne Besen was the founder of Truth Wins Out (2006-2017), a national LGBT non-profit organization that monitored right wing extremism. He is the former host of Chicago’s Progressive Talk, WCPT-AM 820’s, “The Wayne Bsesn Show.”
Wayne has interviewed notables including: Comedians Margaret Cho and Lewis Black, Rainbow Coalition activist and former presidential candidate Jesse Jackson, President Obama’s Chief Strategist and Senior Advisor David Axelrod, former Attorney General Eric Holder, former Gov. Pat Quinn (D-IL), NY Magazine Columnist Frank Rich, author Dan Savage, New York Times columnist Frank Bruni, Ben Cohen (Ben & Jerry’s co-founder), Reps. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) and Jackie Speier (D-C
Besen is also the author of “Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth” (Haworth, 2003 ) and “Bashing Back” (Haworth 2006). In 2006, Besen was recognized in the Advocate Magazine’s “People of the Year” issue. In 2009, he was named in Instinct Magazine as a “Leading Man”.
Besen has appeared on news and political talk shows including: the NBC Nightly News, ABC World News Tonight, MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show, The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, The News with Thomas Roberts, and Hardball with Chris Matthews; CNN’s Talk Back Live, CNN’s The Point, CNN’s AC360; FOX’s The O’Reilly Factor, The Sean Hannity Show, Hard Copy, and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
Besen has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, Rolling Stone, TIME, Newsweek, The Nation, Mother Jones, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Windy City Times, The Washington Blade, and The Advocate
Prior to founding TWO, Besen served as a spokesperson for five years with the Human Rights Campaign. He also worked in corporate communications for Edelman Public Relations Worldwide, and served as a press secretary on a U.S. Senate primary in Maine. In 1992, Besen co-founded Sons & Daughters of America (SDA), a gay and lesbian public awareness campaign based in Fort Lauderdale. Besen graduated from the University of Florida in 1993.